Application Portal FAQ’s

This FAQ includes answers to many common questions. If you have a question not covered here, please call us at 1-866-935-0407.

Program Pause FAQ's

Please explain why this is happening?

In response to recent federal U.S. Treasury policy changes, the Delaware State Housing Authority will temporarily close the Delaware Housing Assistance Program (DEHAP) application portal to new applications on September 9.

This temporary program pause will allow the agency to modify program guidelines in accordance with the federal U.S. Treasury guidance, implement a shift between federal funding sources, and manage application volume. Processing of existing applications and payments will continue during the pause.


When will the portal reopen?
Why is the program pausing?

This temporary closure will allow the agency to implement new federal program guidelines and manage application volume.


Why are the program guidelines changing?

Program changes are being made in accordance with federal U.S. Treasury guidance. DEHAP is funded by federal ERA-1 and ERA-2 funding. ERA-1 expires on September 30, 2022 and this transition will allow DSHA to conserve as much ERA-2 assistance as possible for Delaware renters and landlords.


Is the DEHAP program ending?

The DEHAP program is not ending, and these changes are being made to ensure the program's longevity and ability to assist the highest-need households and prevent evictions for as long as possible. The program in its current format will eventually end as the federal funds expire.

What kinds of program changes are coming?

Anticipated modifications to the DEHAP program guidelines include:

  • Decreasing the income limits
  • Increasing documentation requirements
  • Aligning the program assistance amount to meet market rate demand
During the program pause, will new DEHAP applications be accepted?

During this transition, new applications and recertifications will not be accepted. In the event of emergencies such as utility shutoff, active eviction filings/court dates, or imminent risk of homelessness, DEHAP’s Community Navigators will still be able to assist households in submitting emergency applications.

What should I do if I am currently facing eviction, or the risk of homelessness?

During this transition, new applications and recertifications will not be accepted. In the event of emergencies such as utility shutoff, active eviction filings/court dates, or imminent risk of homelessness, DEHAP’s Community Navigators will still be able to assist households in submitting emergency applications.


What should I do If my utility service is about to shut off?

Those experiencing utility shut-off can start a new application for assistance through one of the program's 15 Community Navigators


My application was submitted before September 9. How do I check on the status of my application?

The DEHAP team will still be processing applications during this program pause. We encourage you to monitor their emails, text messages, and voicemails for status updates.

You can log into the application portal and check your application status. Applicants who need to provide additional documentation on existing cases will still be able to do so via the portal. The call center is also available to answer questions: (866) 935-0407.


What if my DEHAP application is not processed before the program changes take effect?

The DEHAP team is making every effort to process all existing cases during the pause. All applications submitted before the portal closes, and emergency applications submitted during the pause, will be reviewed under the existing program guidelines. Sign up to receive email alerts about the new program guidelines.


What happens to my application if I do not meet the new program eligibility requirements?

Your application will be denied for ineligibility.


How will I know if I meet the new program eligibility requirements?

Tenant Questions

Are there videos or instructions for how to use the portal?

There are video tutorials within the portal for each portion of the application that will help users. While some details of the DEHAP portal may be different, the basics of completing key steps are the same. Access the Help Center through the link in the top right of the main portal screen.

Within the Help Center, click the header for “Completing the Application” for instructions about how to use specific sections of the portal.

I already received DEHAP assistance in 2021 but need to request more rent or add a request for utilities. How do I do this?

If you haven’t already, go to the application portal, click the Forgot Password link and enter your email to reset your password. Once in the portal, go to your application and click New Case. Enter the additional months of rent you are requesting, or enter information for the utilities you are requesting on the Utilities tab and any required documentation such as utility bill. Proceed through to Submit.

If your income was previously verified by providing documentation of income for the past 30 days, you will need to submit new documentation for income verification. There are some new options for verifying income, but your 2021 1040 remains the preferred method of verifying income.

DEHAP can assist with rent and/or utilities for up to 18 months.

I got a message that my email is not verified. What does that mean?

To complete your registration, you will need to click the link in the email you receive from RentRelief to verify your email. If you are getting a message that your email is not verified, this is likely the issue. Check your email for a confirmation email from RentRelief.

I got a 1020 Error. What does that mean?

1020 error is for IP addresses outside of the United States. You will need to wait to submit an application until you are back in the United States.

Why is the Documents tab requiring a Benefits Determination Letter?

Eligibility for other federal and state income-based programs like TANF and SNAP can be used to document your income eligibility. If you check Yes to the question on the preregistration screen that you are receiving other state or federal benefits, the system will plan to use this to verify your income and require documentation of this instead of other income documentation.

I got an “object error”. What does that mean?

Try closing all your browser windows and then re-opening and logging back in. Object error usually means something is not saving and you may have multiple browsers with the same screen open.

Landlord Questions

As a property owner or manager, where do I upload my W-9?

If you have only one property, you will upload the W-9 under the Landlord Documents tab. If you have more than one property entered, a Property Documents tab will appear. This is where you will upload a W-9 for each property.

I’m a property manager. How can I help my tenants apply and make sure their applications get connected to me?

Share information about the program with your tenants and direct them to www.wordpress-259509-2432916.cloudwaysapps.com for more information. You can also help them prepare by:
⦁ Providing them with a copy of their current lease
⦁ Providing a ledger or rent due statement broken out by month
⦁ Providing them with the specific contact information they should enter for you to make sure your information gets correctly linked.

A screenshot of the tab where Applicants enter their Landlord Information is below. It will help them to enter the correct info if you give them the specific contact information to enter here, especially email address.

I got a payment and don’t know who it’s for. How can I check?

When the status of a case changes to Paid, the landlord/property manager email connected to the case will receive an email ACH/direct deposit stub specifying the case number and amount paid.

On the Case tab, the amounts listed under Approved Amount on cases with a status of Paid are the amount paid for that case.

How can I check on the status of a payment?

Payments are batched weekly on Wednesdays. If the status of a case is Approved, you should see payment within two weeks. If the status of a case is Approved for Payment, you should see payment within a week.

Case auditors are not able to answer questions about payment status. Please call the DEHAP call center at 866-935-0407 and staff can give more detail about dates processed or checks issued, if you have questions.

How can I check on the status of an application, or find out what my tenant needs to submit?

In general, case auditors are not able to answer general status update questions. The best thing to do is communicate with your tenant, or to call the DEHAP call center. Auditors will communicate with tenants about items needed from the tenant and landlords on items needed from the landlord.