The Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) will be closing its Waiting List for the Public Housing, Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD), and Housing Choice Voucher Programs as of FRIDAY, MARCH 18, 2022.
What happens if I’m already on the waiting list?
Applications already on the DSHA Waiting List will continue to be processed.
Please remember to report any change in address, income, or family composition in writing.
Changes can be sent to:
Delaware State Housing Authority, Waiting List Office, 1289 W. Walker Road, Dover, DE 19904.
Where are DSHA’S Public housing sites located?
As a Public Housing Authority, DSHA receives funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to own and operate public housing in Kent and Sussex counties.
We understand your frustration and concerns around the lack of affordable housing in our state. This is an issue that Delaware State Housing Authority (DSHA) and the four other housing authorities in the state work hard to address. We know the supply of affordable housing cannot keep up with the demand for it, and this is an issue seen in every state across our country. To address this, DSHA provides public housing and housing choice vouchers for Kent and Sussex County residents; makes funding available for developers of affordable housing projects statewide; offers low-interest homeownership loans for homebuyers in the state at all income levels; and partners with housing counseling agencies throughout the state to help Delawareans secure safe, affordable housing.
Below are additional resources available in the state.
Delaware Housing Search, a free, searchable database, to search for affordable housing options near you. You can search by location, room number, cost, etc. You can also call 1-877-428-8844 and someone can walk you through the process.
There are several nonprofits who may be able to assist you with rental assistance or a security deposit.
- Catholic Charities: 302-655-9624 (They can provide rental assistance and information and referral services.)
- Lutheran Community Services: 302-654-8886 (They have a statewide homelessness prevention program and may be able to provide rental assistance.)
- West End Neighborhood House: 302-658-4171 (They offer a statewide security deposit loan program if you are in need of assistance paying a security deposit.)
- First State Community Action Agency: 1-800-372-2240 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (They may be able to provide assistance locating affordable housing.)
DSHA works closely with several HUD-approved housing counseling agencies in our state. I would suggest contacting one of the below agencies to see if they can help your family. The agencies can provide guidance and counseling to help you secure affordable housing. They offer a wealth of knowledge around affordable housing in our state.
- CLARIFI: 800-989-2227
- First State Community Action Agency: 302-498-0454
- Housing Opportunities of Northern Delaware: 302-429-0794
- Interfaith Community Housing: 302-652-3991
- NCALL: 302-283-7505
- Neighborhood House: 302-658-5404
- YWCA Delaware: 302-224-4060
The mission of the Delaware State Housing Authority is to efficiently provide, and assist others to provide, quality, affordable housing opportunities and appropriate supportive services to low- and moderate-income Delawareans